Window position
Richard Porter
2017-04-06 20:09:19 UTC
After a bit of fiddling I got the default window position to where I
want it - full width, just below the menu bar at the top and just
above the icon bar at the bottom. I've ticked 'Stagger window
position'.

This is fine when you first run NetSurf but I would expect NetSurf to
use the default position whenever the first window is opened
regardless of what went before (i.e. no other windows are open).

It doesn't work like that. You can open a window in the default
position, close it and open another window. This gets staggered up or
down even if there's no window to stagger it from.

I feel a bug report coming on, although it's really only a design
oversight. In the mean time I might be better off with 'stagger
windows' disabled.
--
Richard Porter http://www.minijem.plus.com/
t: @westernexplorer mailto:***@minijem.plus.com
I don't want a "user experience" - I just want stuff that works.
Richard Porter
2017-04-06 22:25:18 UTC
Post by Richard Porter
It doesn't work like that. You can open a window in the default
position, close it and open another window. This gets staggered up or
down even if there's no window to stagger it from.
I think I've now sussed it. With Stagger off and Copy on it does what
I want. If a link is opened in a new window then the new window is
vertically offset from the parent window, otherwise a new window
that's opened from the icon bar or by double-clicking an html file
opens in the default position.

I can't see the point of 'Stagger window position' being on but it
doesn't matter.
Jim Nagel
2017-04-07 11:56:38 UTC
I can't see the point of 'Stagger window position' being on ...
So often I wish that the "stagger" behaviour would behave more
helpfully, when I have a page of search results and want to follow
several of them.

Adjust-click the first result -- a new Netsurf page opens,
covering the results page. Bring it to the front.

Adjust-click the second result -- a new Netsurf page opens,
covering the results page. Bring it to the front.

Etc.

Perhaps if stagger were configurable, the new pages could open far
enough to the right so that enough of the list of results remains
visible for the next Adjust-click.

Or maybe a new trick such as Shift-Adjust-click could open the new
window *behind* the one I click in. (Perhaps this is comparable to
the likes of Firefox, where you can configure whether opening a new
tab puts you immediately into the new tab or lets you remain in the
present one, in my case the list of search results.)
--
Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk
Tim Hill
2017-04-07 15:38:31 UTC
Post by Jim Nagel
Or maybe a new trick such as Shift-Adjust-click could open the new
window *behind* the one I click in. (Perhaps this is comparable to
the likes of Firefox, where you can configure whether opening a new
tab puts you immediately into the new tab or lets you remain in the
present one, in my case the list of search results.)
Shift/Adjust seems to be in use. Ctrl/Adjust seems unused.
--
Tim Hill

timil.com : tjrh.eu : butterwick.eu : blue-bike.uk : youngtheatre.co.uk
Jim Nagel
2017-04-07 20:48:33 UTC
Post by Tim Hill
Post by Jim Nagel
Or maybe a new trick such as Shift-Adjust-click could open the new
window *behind* the one I click in. (Perhaps this is comparable to
the likes of Firefox, where you can configure whether opening a new
tab puts you immediately into the new tab or lets you remain in the
present one, in my case the list of search results.)
Shift/Adjust seems to be in use. Ctrl/Adjust seems unused.
After posting that, I thot: Adjust-doubleclick would be even nicer
(all with one hand), if such a thing is allowed in such a situation.
Dave Symes
2017-04-08 04:56:32 UTC
Post by Jim Nagel
Post by Tim Hill
Post by Jim Nagel
Or maybe a new trick such as Shift-Adjust-click could open the new
window *behind* the one I click in. (Perhaps this is comparable to
the likes of Firefox, where you can configure whether opening a new
tab puts you immediately into the new tab or lets you remain in the
present one, in my case the list of search results.)
Shift/Adjust seems to be in use. Ctrl/Adjust seems unused.
After posting that, I thot: Adjust-doubleclick would be even nicer
(all with one hand), if such a thing is allowed in such a situation.
Adjust double click opens a child/subdirectory and closes the
parent/directory in one action.

D.

Steve Fryatt
2017-04-08 08:28:06 UTC
On 8 Apr, Dave Symes wrote in message
Post by Dave Symes
After posting that, I thot: Adjust-doubleclick would be even nicer (all
with one hand), if such a thing is allowed in such a situation.
Adjust double click opens a child/subdirectory and closes the
parent/directory in one action.
However, given that NetSurf uses an Adjust click for something more than
changing the selected state of the object under the pointer, adding a
different action to Adjust double-click is likely to be problematic from a
technical point of view because RISC OS won't allow the two actions to be
differentiated.

RISC OS sends a single click, followed shortly after by a double-click --
exactly what's required for a selection model like the Filer's.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/