[Netsurf-develop] Window open position
Sendu Bala
2007-09-20 04:11:25 UTC
In Neturf you can do Utilities->Window->Set as default position but
this only applies to the first window opened in a session. Any
subsequent new windows open at the next vertical offset. Can this be
changed so that adjust-click windows offset themselves, but new windows
from the iconbar open in the default position?

Also, can the vertical offset take (better) account of if the next
offset would cause the window to cover the iconbar, and if so start
from the highest offset instead? And can the highest offset be higher
(the top of the screen?) as well?

Finally, how about adding in a horizontal offset as well? I mentioned
before that this would let it behave like the filer, but a better
reason is that if the new window offsets lower you can bring the old
window back to the front with a single click. If it offsets higher,
however, you have to do two clicks or a drag+click to see the old
window again.

This isn't a problem for most RISC OS applications because you can only
open a new document window by either using its iconbar icon or loading
one of its files - a new window opens when you're no longer paying
attention or directly using the old window. Netsurf needs to break
style guide and be like the filer - both of them let you open new
windows from the old ones; because new window appear at an offset of
the old one it is therefore impossible for you to arrange for the old
window not to be covered by the new one. (For all other RISC OS
applications if you want to keep a certain window visible you move it
somewhere 'nice', away from the default opening position so that new
windows won't cover it - you do this without even thinking about it.)
--
Sendu Bala http://sendu.me.uk/ | Tori, Kenshin, DNA and my Iyonix

"I tell you with no ego that this is my finest blade. If you should
encounter God, God will be cut."
Sendu Bala
2007-09-20 04:11:25 UTC
Post by Sendu Bala
In Neturf you can do Utilities->Window->Set as default position but
this only applies to the first window opened in a session. Any
subsequent new windows open at the next vertical offset. Can this be
changed so that adjust-click windows offset themselves, but new windows
from the iconbar open in the default position?
[snip]
Post by Sendu Bala
Netsurf needs to break style guide and be like the filer - both of
them let you open new windows from the old ones; because new window
appear at an offset of the old one it is therefore impossible for you
to arrange for the old window not to be covered by the new one. (For
all other RISC OS applications if you want to keep a certain window
visible you move it somewhere 'nice', away from the default opening
position so that new windows won't cover it - you do this without
even thinking about it.)
It occurs to me that a satisfactory solution to the whole adjust-click,
tabs, open-behind thread I started a little while ago would instead be
to allow all adjust-opened windows to open at an offset of the default
position. This would then give the user the choice of moving the old
window to one side and launch links off it without any of them covering
it.

Unless I dreamt it, one of Fresco or Browse (probably the latter)
worked like this and was always a true joy to use, whereas the other
one of Fresco or Browse (probably the former) was a real pain in the
same way that Netsurf et al are.

So, please please please can this be implemented? The benefit of
associating new windows with the old one by having them appear nearby
seems small (if that even /is/ a benefit) compared to having something
nearly as good as tabs whilst retaining complete simplicity and the
RISC OS multi-window approach.

Sendu Bala
2007-09-20 04:11:25 UTC
Post by Sendu Bala
So, please please please can this be implemented?
Someone just pointed out it already was. Utilities->Window->Copy window
position (unticked)... Great! I've actually read through the user guide
now, so hopefully won't bring up stupid things again.

Speaking of the user guide, Test Build 09 Apr 2005 23:00 has display
problems with it with RISC OS 5.08 here. The 'Toolbar Icons' section
fails to show the tool icon graphics to the left of each paragraph
(just empty white space), and if I scroll down toward the bottom I find
that it won't display anything much past the 'Global Choices' section.
I can see the first or second paragraph usually before the rest of the
page is just white. Scrolling up and down around this point erases the
text of the previous section, which reappears if you scroll high and
then back down again. Oregano2 displays the page fine.